HMRC has released its round up of the craziest tax return excuses and failed expense claims from the past decade.
Here are HMRC’s top 10 (in reverse order)
- caravan rental for the Easter weekend
- I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a post box or get an internet signal
- my dog ate the post… again
- claiming £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days
- my hamster ate my post
- I’ve been cruising around the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
- a music subscription so I can listen to music while I work
- pet food for a Shih Tzu ‘guard dog’
- a DJ was too busy with a party lifestyle – spinning the decks… in a bowls club
- my mother-in-law is a witch and put a curse on me
There are penalties for filing late – but help is available
If you file late there’s an initial £100 fixed penalty, which applies even if there’s no tax to pay or if the tax due is paid on time. This can increase the later you leave it.
Make sure you submit before the 31st Jan deadline.
If you need any last minute help and advice get in touch – email@example.com